Public relations, or PR as it is widely known, can be summed up in two words: reputation management.
PR practitioners, agencies or consultants are responsible for working with a company, organisation or individual to develop and promote a positive perception in the marketplace. This can be achieved through strategic PR Initiatives including:
- Stakeholder relations -Managing relationships between organisations and stakeholders.
- Media relations – Developing and maintaining relationships with the media.
- Community engagement - Managing communication between organisations and the public.
- Crisis management – Responding to and neutralising negative feedback in the press.
- Publicity - Creating awareness of an organisation, individual or product.
- Brand management - Marketing development and management of your corporate image.
HOW DOES IT ALL WORK?Many public relations companies are engaged to handle media relations, a popular PR initiative aimed at generating publicity throughout the media for a company, product or individual.
The PR Chain Reaction…
- You hire a PR firm >
- PR firm communicates your product or service message to media >
- Media reports that message to the public >
- Public consume product or engage service, creating demand >
- You deliver your product or service to meet demand >